Sunday, November 25, 2018

Social Media -- Module 9


Social media search using Google Social Search for information literacy and fake news.  You must select all boxes of the each social media site to retrieve results from each of the sites. 



Results using information literacy and fake news. 


Best hit


MODULE 9
SOCIAL SEARCH ENGINE: Google Social Search
S STRATEGY
 Citation Pearl  - disinformation
REFINEMENT SS
 I used Google Social Search to look for information on my topic of information literacy. I was not surprised to see a lot of information on the topic but I thought I would see more hits regarding reading literacy.  There were a lot of ads. Some of the hits I returned were for fundraisers, workshops and conferences. There was even a webinar hosted by ALA.  I searched for the term information literacy first and retrieved 66,300 results then I searched for information literacy and fake news and retrieved 10,700 results. Then I added the term disinformation.
BEST HIT SS
Once I broadened my search to the other sites I found that Pinterest had the most hits and they ran the gamut from library boards on information literacy to fake news images to digital literacy images.  The lowest number of results were from Instagram with 156 results.  Twitter had 8,380 results, Google+ had 218 results, and LinkedIn had 3,190 results. 
1 CONTENT THNG YOU LEARNED
 A headline posted on LinkedIn titled “Our best hope against fake news? Your local librarian,” grabbed my attention.  It was a refreshing article by a tech geek who truly appreciates librarians and understands that, “being a librarian goes well beyond checking out books.”  
The author does a great job of explaining information literacy and its vital role in the Information Age. 
1 SEARCHING THING YOU LEARNED
 This was my first time using Google Social Search and didn’t realize I had to check each of the social media boxes. On my first try I noticed all of the hits were from Facebook and then realized I needed to check the boxes for each social media site.  
REFLECT ON HOW THE SEARCH WENT
 Overall I liked the hit for UNESCO MILCLICKS found on Facebook and Instagram which shows an infographic on why we shouldn’t use the term “fake news” and that we are better of using the term “disinformation.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Online Information Retrieval -- Course Reflection

The course online information and retrieval has been a very informative.  The challenge of creating a blog alone has been a great learning ...