Sunday, November 25, 2018

DIALOG -- Module 10




Initial search of "information literacy"


Disinformation search



Disinformation and information literacy search






Information literacy and fake news search


Search within results search


MODULE 10
DIALOG
S STRATEGY
Successive fractions   - information literacy
REFINEMENT SS
Initial use of the term information literacy yielded 26,941 results; I then used the term disinformation which yielded 836; the terms information literacy and fake news and yielded 199 results; then I searched within this search and added the term disinformation which yielded 6 results.
BEST HIT SS
When I used the searched within feature and search within “information literacy and fake news” I yielded 6 results and I felt that all 6 were relevant to my topic of information literacy and navigating fake news. 
1 CONTENT THING YOU LEARNED
When I narrowed the search and used disinformation and information literacy the results narrowed to 59 but I didn’t feel that the relevance of the results was a high percentage.  Many of the articles yielded were more scientific in nature and more about how to use search engines.  
1 SEARCHING THING YOU LEARNED
I found that the search within feature is a great way to narrow your results.  If you received a large number of results and the relevancy was decent it is worth a try to do a search within and see if you can narrow the results further. 
REFLECT ON HOW THE SEARCH WENT
Overall I felt that results of this database were more scientific than what I was looking for.   I probably would not use this database as a main resource for my research on information literacy.  I think it would be a great resource if you are looking for in-depth research studies on the subject from a social science perspective.  I preferred using Statista for analytical/statistical information because the information was presented in a more user-friendly format. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Online Information Retrieval -- Course Reflection

The course online information and retrieval has been a very informative.  The challenge of creating a blog alone has been a great learning ...